World Civic Heraldry Guide: coats of arms and flags of cities, regions, states
Delaware, state seal
The state seal was first adopted on January 17, 1777, and contains the coat of arms. Party per fess, or and argent, the first charged with a garb (wheat sheaf) in bend dexter and an ear of maize (Indian Corn) in bend sinister, both proper; the second charged with an ox statant, ruminating, proper; fess, wavy azure, supporters on the dexter a husbandman with a hilling hoe, on the sinister a rifleman armed and accoutred at ease. Crest, on a wreath azure and argent, a ship under full sail, proper." The motto is "Liberty and independence."
It also bears the inscription around it "Great Seal of the State of Delaware" and the dates 1704, 1776 and 1787. Descriptions of the contents of the seal are as follows:
The Wheat Sheaf - was adapted from the Sussex County seal and signifies the agricultural vitality of Delaware.
The Ship - is a symbol of New Castle County's ship building industry and Delaware's extensive coastal commerce.
The Corn - is taken from the Kent County seal and also symbolizes the agricultural basis of Delaware's economy.
The Farmer - with the hoe represents the central role of farming to the state.
The Militiaman - with his musket recognizes the crucial role of the citizen-soldier to the maintenance of American liberties.
The Ox - represents the importance of animal husbandry to the state economy.
The Water - (above the Ox) stands for the Delaware River, the main stay of the state's commerce and transportation.
The Motto - was derived from the Order of Cincinnati, and approved in 1847.
The Dates - 1704, the year that Delaware established its General Assembly; 1776, the year that our independence from Great Britain was declared; and 1787, the year that Delaware became "the First State" by being the first colony to ratify the United States Constitution. /source: State of Delawarewww.state.de.us/
adopted (dd.mm.yyyy): 17.01.1777
|© 1999-2017 CivicHeraldry.com/Geraldika.ru, firstname.lastname@example.org. Developed by Computron IS.|