World Civic Heraldry Guide: coats of arms and flags of cities, regions, states
Michigan, state seal
Both the Great Seal of Michigan and the Coat of Arms were adopted at the Constitutional Convention of 1835. A former Territorial Governor, Lewis Cass, created the original design.
The Coat of Arms is familiar to us because it is shown on Michigan's state flag. This first occurred in 1837. From that time, numerous flags were in use bearing the State Coat of Arms, with various designs and emblems.
It was not until 1865, however, that an official Michigan flag was adopted. The design of this flag, recommended by Adjutant-General John Robertson, and approved by Governor Crapo, bore on one side the State Coat of Arms on a field of blue. On the reverse side was the arms of the United States.
Michigan's current Coat of Arms was adopted by the Legislature in 1911. (MCL 2.21) It is identical to the Great Seal of Michigan with the legend or circle, The Great Seal of the State of Michigan, A.D. MDCCCXXXV, omitted.
adopted (dd.mm.yyyy): 1835, 1911
|© 1999-2019 CivicHeraldry.com/Geraldika.ru, firstname.lastname@example.org. Developed by Computron IS.|